Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Intelligent Design needs better designed books

I was handed this book as a gift from the Answers In Genesis booth at a recent Munce show in Murfreesboro, TN. I rarely, if ever read novels but since it was a gift and had an interesting story line I thought I would give it a go. I will admit up front that I blew through this book quickly on a recent air travel business trip. Even after knowing exactly how it was going to end when I was about 50 pages in. I still enjoyed it and appreciated a novel attempt to expose the insidious nature of modern, humanistic religion also known as evolution. Conspiracy theory always makes for a good read and this one almost didn't disappoint, but alas, it did indeed disappoint. Here is where I think this author needs to grow a bit. First, the dialog between the scientists was quite lame. If you ever watched a creationist verses evolutionist debate you would immediately realize that these conversations were weak, straw man arguments at best. I think modified debate transcripts from some well know debates such as a Hitchens/Wilson would be in order. Secondly, and maybe the most disturbing, was the trite, Arminian laden gospel presentations. Man centered, boot strap, God's sovereignty, glory robbing gospel presentations are just flat out misleading at best. God saves us, rebirths us, gives us faith and repentance to believe in Him too. We don't have any resident or residual faith that we can exercise at anytime of our own choosing toward a relationship with God. The Bible teaches just the opposite: we are dead and do not seek God ever. God seeks us.  The gospel conversations were more like canned, Billy Graham training session presentations instead of real conversations with lost people. Finally, the plot was way too predictable. You basically could guess the ending well before the halfway point and seriously, that just takes all the fun out of a mystery. I'm sorry miss Julie Cave, new author, it just does. Again, I appreciate the attempt but would be more apt to recommend the book if it were a more believable read. All in all, though, I still want to read the next in the Dinah Harris trilogy to see how she grows as a character and how the author grows too.

No comments: