Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Tale of Two Bibles: Best Study Bible ever.

Being a brand new Christian and walking into a strange new world, the Christian Bookstore, looking for a new bible can be pretty overwhelming. I was thankful to even find a good store in Cookeville, TN in 1986 but I did. Cornerstone Christian Bookstore came to my aide. (Store location)
I was directed to the Thompson Chain Reference Bible (1983 edition when it was still in partnership with Zondervan) and it was such a good choice. I love this Bible and it has helped me grow in Christ and has made me look much smarter in Bible studies than I really am. The chain references and index is far superior than just study notes. You build your systematic theology every time you follow a chain of references. I love it. In fact I loved it so much that I started wearing my copy out after 25 years. I hated to retire this gem of a copy for several reasons. First, I knew this copy so well that I could find verses even if I couldn't remember their address simply by remembering what area of a page they occurred. Secondly, the Thompson Chain has gone through at least one new edition and thus the pagination changed and the partnership with Zondervan ended thus the newer copies are still wonderful but the concordance is not as robust as the old one I have.
Bring on eBay! I knew what I wanted, a replacement 1983 edition of my Bible that was clean and pristine and also in leather since mine was a hardback and I don't think they last as long. Plenty were to be found and the prices were about right $25 to $40. Remember, new ones will cost at least $59 and up. I bid on one but lost it in a bidding war and then God helped me land the perfect one. Leather bound, pristine and clean and at a great price, $25 after shipping even.
The only problem: used Bibles sometimes have the previous owner's name engraved.  I'll have to change my name to the Rev. Harold F. Marr. I guess that could get more expensive than buying a new one.
Do you love your Bible too? Tell me about it in a comment below.

No comments: